Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Chicken Noodle Stew

Mmm, Mmm, Yum!

It's a perfect leftover, scrape together kind of meal. Great for today when it is chilly outside. I love this recipe because I can make it when I have small or large amounts of ingredients. I can add or subtract veggies depending on what I have at the ready. If I had Pillsbury biscuits this would've been potpie, minus the noodles of course. Depending on how much liquid I add, it can be stew or soup. Tonight it was stew, and this is what I put in it. 

INGREDIENTS
Olive Oil
Diced Celery
Diced Onion
Diced Garlic
Chopped Carrots
Diced Potatoes
Cooked Chicken (I picked the bones of a leftover roasted chicken, the kind you can get in the grocery store hot & ready for $5-$7)
Salt, Pepper, Garlic Powder, Italian Herb Blend

Water or Chicken Stock or Broth
Egg Noodles
Cannellini Beans (I added these to kick up the protein and fiber - you could easily substitute green beans)
Corn (I cut kernels off of an already cooked, Szalay's corn on the cob we had leftover from our Labor Day cookout)
Peas (I used frozen ones)

PREPARATION
In a large stock pot, add the oil to coat the bottom and put on med high heat.
Add the vegetables and chicken (except for the corn & peas & beans - they become mush if cooked too long)
Add seasoning & stir occasionally until hot and veggies softened
Add water (broth or stock) & bring to a boil
Add egg noodles, corn, peas, & beans and reduce heat to low
Once noodles are soft, remove from heat & serve

My kids LOVE this!





No comments:

Post a Comment